CORONATION OF KING EDWARD VII IN JUNE 1902
 
coronation1902

 

A street party down Fore Street to celebrate the Coronation. The recently planted centenary trees are clearly visible in this photograph.

 

WAR MEMORIAL MOVED

 

memorialmove

 

The war memorial being moved to its present position. With increased traffic it had become an obstruction to vehicles.
The Castle Hotel can be seen to the left of the Guildhall.

 

BAKERY ALONG WEST END ROAD?

20westend

A rear view of 18 & 20 West End Road, Bradninch.
The small door to the loft was probably used to haul flour up - a clue that a bakery was here at some time.
 
 
MR & MRS HEPBURN WORKERS COTTAGES, 1950s

 

hepburnhousefront

 

FRONT

 

hepburnhousesrear

 

REAR

Front & rear views of a pair of houses in West End Road built for the gardener and the coachman of the Hepburn family 9 once owners of Hele Paper Mill & Dunmore House.
The initials of Mr & Mrs Hepburn appear under the gable fronts.

CRICKET PITCH NEAR RIVER CULM, 1905

cricketpitch1905

Bradninch Cricket Club in action at their Long Marsh, Kensham Avenue Ground.

 

HIGHER KENSHAM MILL

kenshammill

Looking across the Culm valley to the Little Copse Filling station, before the motorway was built.
In the foreground is the chimney (now demolished) of the old Higher Kensham mill.

CHRISTMAS PARTY IN THE GUILDHALL IN THE LATE 1940s

xmasparty1940
This party was organised by the Bradninch branch of the British Legion. The lady on the left with the bell is Mrs. Annie Tree.



Hele


HELE & BRADNINCH STATION

stationHele & Bradninch station with Devon Valley Hotel to the left (now Crossways Tavern).

HISTORY
Bradninch, because of its proximity to Hele, was on the route of the first railway to reach Devon, the Bristol and Exeter Railway, whose broad gauge line was opened to Exeter on 1st May 1844, and included a station at Hele. In 1876 an extra rail was laid to enable both standard and broad gauge trains to run. In the same year the Bristol and Exeter Railway was taken over by the Great Western Railway. The rail for broad gauge running was finally removed in 1892. Prior to coming of the railway, horse drawn vehicles were the main carriers and continued to ply between Hele station and Bradninch, and from wholesalers in Exeter to shops and trades people in Bradninch until motorised transport took over.

 

 

 

 

HELE SQUARE VIEW OF HELE SQUARE FROM THE MILL IN 1952
helesquare helesquare1952
Photo shows entrance to Hele Square between the Post Office on the left and the Chapel.  


HOPE YOU ENJOYED A LOOK AT HOW IT USED TO BE IN BRADNINCH & HELE

Acknowledgments- Photos & text for this page taken from Anthony Taylor's books on Bradninch. For more photos please buy the book called Bradninch & Hele Past, available at the Bradninch Post Office.