Guildhall

guildhall clock

The Guildhall was first built in the 12th century, when Bradninch became a borough. It was rebuilt in the 15th century, and then burnt down in the fire of 1666. A new Guildhall consisting of cob and thatch was then built but another fire in 1832 destroyed this building. The present building was built in 1835 with later additions of the balcony and extensions to the stairwells during 1921 and 1923. Since 1996 the building has been painted and the old clock has been restored. The Guildhall is the central point to the Town and is used every week for different activities.

Guildhall in the 1870's

guildhall1870

The Guildhall in the 1870's. long before the extensions and alterations. The Russian cannon was captured at Sevastopol in 1855 and given by the then Prince of Wales. The gun carriage was given by the Prince Consort (Prince Albert). Both the gun and the iron railings were lost to the war effort, except for a metal plate with the inscription 'Captured 1855 at Sevastopol' now among the other relics in the Guildhall.

FOR A GUIDED TOUR OF THE GUILDHALL CLICK HERE

The Arms of Bradninch - The Spread Eagle

eagle eagle1

The Arms of Bradninch, pictured above left is dated to around 1135. The seal has been incorporated onto the front of the Guildhall (see photo above). The backdrop to this website is made up of the Bradninch Arms. The Spread Eagle was used to stamp and seal documents in Bradninch and still can be found on House Deeds in the area.

Comfort house

comfort
Name plate on porch
 comfortsign

After the disastrous fire of 1666, this master weaver's house was built in 1681. This date and the initials I.W. and M.W. of the first occupants, Isaac and Mary Watts, are on the colonnaded porch. Comfort house is the only thatched house in Fore street now.

Manor House

manor

The Manor house was constructed of local brown stone and was completed in 1553. The house was altered in the 18th century with the ground plan re-shaped to an H shape instead of the previous E shape. The house was used in the 1940's to accommodate evacuees from Duchy properties in London during the war. The house was also used for a time in the late 40's as a boarding school for very young children.

Bradninch St.Disen's Church

church  churchporch
 AERIAL VIEW OF CHURCH AROUND 1965
church1965


The name Disen came from an Irish missionary who came to Bradninch about the middle of the 7th century, and it is believed that a church has stood on this spot since that time. Originally there was four bells hung in an oak frame in the tower. In 1748 they were recast and two bells added to make a pearl of six. Click on 'Tower views' below to see views of Bradninch from the Church tower.

Tower Views 

churchinside churchscreen

An outstanding feature of the inside of the church is the magnificent richly carved oak rood screen (photo- above right) which runs across the nve and both aisles. The screen is dated to around the late 15th century. The richly coloured screen was repainted in the 19th century.

Bradninch Baptist Church

chapel

Built in 1832